Monday, January 26, 2009

Adopting their principles

Last night, we watched the Duggar family's first born get married. The family is on TLC on a show called, "Seventeen kids and counting..." or something like that. We are not faithful watchers but have caught a few episodes. They are very conservative christians ...no birth control, very modest, limit of tv and internet in the house, etc. I have grown to really admire them. I was looking them up on the internet this morning to find out more info on them. During my search, I found 5 parenting tips that they recommend...and also apply in their own lives. I pray that Esteban and I can adopt them, and raise our child in the ways of the Lord. Here they are:
1. Teach our children to love God with all of their heart, soul, mind and strength, and memorize God’s word together as a family.
2. Teach them to have a servant’s heart, leading by your example. Love your neighbor as yourself.
3. Daily read the Proverb of the Day that corresponds with the day of the month and discuss it as a family.
4. Diligently keep up with each child’s attitudes and actions and ask what is going on in their heart. Pray with them one on one letting them lead in prayer and then you closing the prayer time together.
5. Ask God to help you conquer anger because it can destroy your relationship with your children. Praise them ten times more than you correct them.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

These are good rules to live by. You and Steban are going to be good role models.

G.Sprouse

Anonymous said...

Awe I like that. I agree. You guys will be excellent role models. I also like you blogging much more...it makes my day so much more interesting :P

Love, Augusta

Brent and Abigail said...

great words of wisdom. they are writing a book that will hopefully be out soon on parenting tips. their kids are amazing - all love the Lord and so well behaved. I'm looking forward to reading it whenever its done. (we also catch the show every once in a while too) you will both be such great parents!